Thursday, February 2, 2023

Past 60 years aging

How does aging play out past sixty? Did you notice things changed dramatically after sixty? What do you wish you'd known a decade earlier to help you prepare for it?


Many years ago I saw a PBS lecture with Dr. Andrew Weil, and he discussed the process of aging. He said the difference for him between 40 and 50 was not much, but between 50 and 60 was significant. I completely agree, and would add that the difference between 60 and 65 has been a larger change. The curve seems to continue to go up. (Age increases and so do the health "challenges.")

When I was in my 20's, I took up running and cycling and swimming. At 27, I completed a marathon, and for years I ran shorter races, which even included a 25K, some half-marathons, and oodles of 10Ks and 5Ks. Also I did a few triathlons. I thought I could keep that going forever.

At about 43 or so, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and underwent chemotherapy and small surgical procedures to remove tumors. I kept up with some running but not much else.

At 49 or so, I was diagnosed with systemic lupus, lupus nephritis, and deep vein thrombosis in my upper right leg. More chemotherapy. My running was reduced to occasional walks.

I also fell prey to fibromyalgia and chronic tendinitis in both arms.

At about 62, I grew a second blood clot in the same area. "Coumadin for life" was the cardiologist's direction for me.

Two years later, X-rays showed holes in the bottom of both my lungs, from the lupus, and the most recent challenge: osteoarthritis in both hips.

Chronic pain, anyone?

I was prescribed Neurontin years ago for the fibro, but it can make me kind of "loopy" so usually I take it only at bedtime.

I also take melatonin at bedtime. That combines with the Gabapentin to help me get *some* sleep at night.

Anti-inflammatories are out because of the daily regimen of Coumadin, but Tylenol is acceptable.

Also my fingers, mostly on my right hand, suffer from arthritis (hello, typing?)

At 65, it's tough. I had to quit running years ago because of the hip pain, plus when I had radio frequency ablation procedures TWICE to fix my heart rhythm, my "top end" was reset, and my engine cannot run as fast as before. Plus my hips and legs hurt sometimes so much that mild walking is all I can do.

Did I mention asthma?

I remember Mom suffered a lot with arthritis, hip problems, and congestive heart failure. I could see some of my future in her. Dad died at 76 from lung cancer, and fortunately for me there has been no return of the NHL or emergence of any other cancer.

I knew these things might arrive at my destination sooner or later, and I am very very fortunate to have made a life-saving change with my self-medicating behavior almost 29 years ago. It has proved to be quite amazing on a daily and sometimes an hourly basis. I am regularly amongst some of the most wonderful people I could ever have imagined, and their encouragement, support, and guidance has helped me get this far. My new rheumatologist told me a few weeks ago at our first meeting that she was pleasantly surprised that, for a person with lupus, I was doing so well. "Wow", I thought, "sometimes it sure doesn't feel so good."

What am I able to do? Here's an example. I'm retired from social work, but today is my third consecutive day of substitute teaching for Orchestra at a local middle school. These kids have done so much for me by just being themselves, and they seem to not care that I really have no clue about much of what they are doing in class. (Except when they make mischief, of course.

"No Country For Old Men"? Well, maybe for me, for a while longer, I hope.

May I have some more time please? Thanks for listening.

No comments: