Saturday, April 27, 2024

What I've learnt

 What I've learnt 


Sharon Osbourne, 71, grew up in London. Herfather, Don Arden, managed the heavy metal band Black Sabbath. After the group sacked its lead singer, Ozzy Osbourne, she became his manager. They married and had three children. The MTV reality show about their family, The Osbournes, won an Emmy in 2002. She has been a judge on the X-Factor and America's Got Talent and appeared on Celebrity Big Brother last month. Having lived in Los Angeles, she and Ozzy are in the process of returning to the UK.



I didn't expect Ozempic to work the way it did. I've lost 45lb in 18 months. I'm happy with my weight loss. I feel healthier. I'm contented. I always want the quick fix:"I want to lose weight in two weeks,"or, "I want a new face. Can you do it?"

 I went through cancer in 2002, so I'm thinking of the Princess of Wales. Chemo is not fun. I lost my finger nails, toe nails, hair. I think about her beautiful hair, her body and what chemo does to your body. It's devastating. I think of her children, because when I told mine, there was fear in their eyes. My three all dealt with it differently. It's a huge responsibility for a parent to see what it does to your children. The "woke" conversation bores me to death. People don't want to be naughty any more or push the envelope because everybody's so scared. I idolise Ricky Gerva is because he's so open and fearless. 

Cosmetic surgery turned on me. I went to one very bad doctor. After one operation, I said, "Why is my eye so high on my forehead?" The doctor came out with all this waffle: "Oh, there's just more   swelling on one side of your face." They come up with such bullshit. I had to go through another doctor to change what the previous doctor had done. It was a lesson for me - it's enough. Stop now and be careful what you wish for. Ozzy's Parkinson's has been difficult. It breaks your heart to see somebody you love and adore not being 100 per cent. You feel helpless because you want to help them get better, but there's nothing you can do. It's completely devastating.When I was starting out, nobody wanted to marry footballers because most of them were fugly. Now they're the new rock stars. Before it was just music groupies, but now you've got sports groupies, motor racing groupies, billionaire groupies. I've been on antidepressants for more than 30 years. I often think to myself, God, why can't I be stronger? Why do I need to take this shit? But it's just a fact of life. I'd much rather lie in bed and pull the sheets over my head. But I can't, so I need constant medication. My kids were turning into right little so-and-sos. Our family show wasn't good for them at all. What did I expect 


'I went through cancer, so I'm thinking ofthe Princess of Wales. Chemo is devastating '


You get caught up in all the bullshit in LA. It's a great place to visit and a great place to leave. Now there's so much crime and homeless people everywhere who are so messed up, lost, so high on drugs. Los Angeles used to be fun, free and friendly.It's just not that way any more. It's time to move on. I'm counting the hours till I'm back in the UK.


with the amount of attention and money, plus everybody telling them they weregreat and untouchable? I never fitted in with the other mothers 

at school. I was always the odd one out.I tried for a while at tea mornings andbake sales. But when you're married toOzzy Osbourne in the Eighties and youturn up at school, it's a little awkward.I had to seek therapy when I got bannedby CBS In America. Osbourne lost her jobon The Talk in 2021 after she defendedPiers Morgan's comments about theDuchess of Sussex.] I had to go to therapythree times a week because I was soconfused over it. I go when I can't cope.Getting older sucks. I'm sure I've shrunk.I was 5ft 2in, but now I'm 5ft. The one realjoy is your grandkids. I tell them, "Whatgoes on at Nana's stays at Nana's."


I said yes to Ozzy's marriage proposal,then no ten minutes later. We used tohave legendary arguments, but we've bothmellowed out. Been there, done that, nomore, please. We're working on a movieabout Ozzy's life story, which is difficultbecause his career spans 55 years.Whatever you think of me, whatever yourvlewpoint, It doesn't bother me. I'm nottaking it on board. It's your problem, notmine. I just walk away.


New episodes of The Osbournes Podcast are available every Tuesday on all platforms


The Times Magazine 11

No comments: