Saturday, May 8, 2021

Love/Addiction

 In the hospital, we see addiction every day.

It's shocking how many kinds of addiction exist.

It would be too easy if it was just drugs and booze and cigarettes.

I think the hardest part of kicking a habit is wanting to kick it. I mean, we get addicted for a reason, right?

Often...too often...things that start out as just a normal part of your life at some point cross the line to obsessive... compulsive... out of control.

It's the high we're chasing, the high that makes everything else...fade away.

You know the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem?

I never even tried drugs until I was 30. Stupid. I'm so stupid. I went to a party, and there was all this...this meth floating around and...I just figured, what the heck? Once won't kill you. And then...and then it's more than once, then it's all you can think about, and then...then you're outside your dealer's house at 7:00 in the morning. This isn't me. It...it isn't. I'm not this guy.

The thing about addiction is it never ends well.

Because eventually whatever it is that was getting us high...stops feeling good and starts to hurt.

They were it. They were my family. Can you imagine? After 60 years on this planet...my family's a couple of drug dealers and their kid.

  You know, just because people do horrible things, it doesn't always mean they're horrible people. 

 Still, they say you don't kick the habit 'til you hit rock bottom. But how do you know when you're there? 

Because no matter how badly a thing is hurting us...sometimes letting it go hurts even worse.



No comments: