Friday, April 16, 2021

Oh, The Guilt

 First, do no harm. As doctors we pledge to live by this oath. But harm happens. Then guilt happens, and there's no oath for how to deal with that.

Guilt never goes anywhere on its own. It brings its friends, doubt and insecurity.

People die in this hospital. Once a month we gather to discuss how our actions as physicians contributed to the deaths. This is a serious exercise.

Morbidity and Morality seminar, a.k.a. the M&M.

CHIEF Dr. Weber: Let me remind everyone that our purpose here is not to place blame. This is a forum to discuss mistakes in patient care and learn from them.

First, do no harm. Easier said than done. We can take all the oaths in the world but the fact is... most of us do harm all the time.

CHIEF: My first year as an intern, I had a stable cardiac patient who blew out his lung while I was transporting him to CT. I called in a code, but by the time everyone got there, he was dead. If I'd have put in a chest tube right away... I made a mistake. But I stayed. I worked. I learned. I never made that mistake again. If I'd have quit, all I would have had is that life that I lost. Instead I get to save lives. Every day, I get to save lives.

Sometimes even when we're trying to help, we do more harm than good.

And then the guilt rears its ugly head. What you do with that guilt is entirely up to you.



No comments: