Sunday, September 1, 2024

Letter #10 from Jacob to Aaron

 Letter 10


Bethany

33rd year of Herod Antipas


Dear Aaron,

I've just seen one of the houses you built in Jerusalem, down in Bethesda Street; Athabashe, the owner, showed me round it. That room you built on top is just great, I reckon that you could have a real feast for twenty guys or more in there. I went to see Athabashe because his brother has, or at least had, a donkey for sale. It's gone! I thought he'd sold it but he simply said that some master had need of it - heaven only knows who this master guy is but it looks as though the donkey is no longer unridden so I expect that the price will go up when it eventually comes back if, indeed it ever does come back. It's not all bad news though, Athabasha has bought two of my best lambs for the Passover feast. I did ask him why he wanted two since, as you well know, each family only sacrifices one for the feast and he said that he had let out the upstairs room to a private party for the evening and they have ordered a genuine spotless lamb (not one of my bleached ones!) - who am I to refuse a good sale?

I was just about to leave Jerusalem when it seems that a riot broke out judging by the racket, I must have been a couple of streets back from it but people were rushing past as though their hair was on fire some were yelling that the king was here and other that the Messiah was here, well, I like to go with the flow, but I can't see me going to cheer Herod Antipas along - I'm not too sure he is a king anyway! As for the Messiah, I know him, you remember that I told you about him a couple of weeks ago, and he told me and the rest to never get seen together or there'd probably be trouble. So I headed off in the opposite direction pretty quick. Bumped into a bunch of Pharisees who were fair sprinting towards the temple so I reckon there is big trouble brewing - I'm going home for a couple of days but I have to come back to Jerusalem on Thursday to bring some more lambs in - not looking forward to it.


Your cousin,

Jacob


(Hebrew)

  מכתב 10


 בתאני

 שנת 33 להורדוס אנטיפס



 אהרון יקר,

 זה עתה ראיתי את אחד הבתים שבנית בירושלים, למטה ברחוב ביתסדה; אתאבשה, הבעלים, הראה לי את זה. החדר הזה שבנית עליו הוא פשוט נהדר, אני מניח שאתה יכול לערוך שם משתה אמיתי לעשרים בחורים או יותר. הלכתי לראות את אתאבשה כי לאחיו יש, או לפחות היה, חמור למכירה. זה נעלם! חשבתי שהוא מכר את זה אבל הוא פשוט אמר שאיזה אדון צריך את זה - רק בשמים יודעים מי זה הבחור המאסטר הזה אבל זה נראה כאילו החמור כבר לא נסתר אז אני מצפה שהמחיר יעלה כשהוא בסופו של דבר חוזר אם, אכן זה יחזור אי פעם. אבל זה לא רק חדשות רעות, אטבאשה קנה שניים מהכבשים הכי טובים שלי לחג הפסח. שאלתי אותו למה הוא רוצה שניים שכן, כידוע לך, כל משפחה מקריבה רק אחד לחגיגה והוא אמר שהוא שחרר את החדר בקומה העליונה למסיבה פרטית לערב והם הזמינו כבש אמיתי ללא רבב ( לא אחד מהמולבנים שלי!) - מי אני שאסרב למכירה טובה?


 בדיוק עמדתי לעזוב את ירושלים כשנראה שפרצה מהומה אם לשפוט לפי המחבט, כנראה חזרתי כמה רחובות ממנה אבל אנשים מיהרו על פני כאילו השיער שלהם בוער חלקם צעקו שהמלך הוא כאן ואחרים שהמשיח היה כאן, ובכן, אני אוהב ללכת עם הזרם, אבל אני לא יכול לראות אותי הולך לעודד את הורדוס אנטיפס - אני לא בטוח שהוא מלך בכל מקרה! לגבי המשיח, אני מכיר אותו, אתה זוכר שסיפרתי לך עליו לפני שבועיים, והוא אמר לי ולשאר לא להיראות ביחד או שכנראה יהיו צרות. אז הלכתי לכיוון ההפוך די מהר. נתקלתי בחבורה של פרושים שהיו בריצה הוגנת לעבר המקדש אז אני מניח שיש צרות גדולות - אני הולך הביתה לכמה ימים אבל אני צריך לחזור לירושלים ביום חמישי להביא עוד כבשים - לא מצפה לזה.


 בן דוד שלך,

 יעקב



No comments: