Sunday, September 1, 2024

Letter #11 from Jacob to Aaron

 Letter 11


Bethany

33rd year of Herod Antipas


Dear Aaron,

Hey, I seem to be doing all the writing at the moment. I had hoped you'd join me in Jerusalem but I guess you got held up I waited at the Travellers' Inn near The Pool of Bethsaida like we agreed all yesterday evening drinking wine and just waiting. Mind you, you didn't miss much rumours are that Barabas got himself caught and released - that's my kind of Messiah and some other preacher chap was tried as a terrorist and convicted but I suppose it'll all be in the Jewish Chronicle at the weekend. I sold the rest of the lambs for a pretty penny but then, I'm afraid I drank far too much Chateau Hebron whilst waiting for you and don't really remember going to bed on Thursday night. Woke up on Friday morning with the mother and father of a hangover, obviously the Chateau Hebron 33 isn't a particularly good wine. I had breakfast, or a least looked at it and paid for it, then went to catch the noon donkey-cart home but I was obviously more affected that I thought.

I had just gone outside when my eyes started to play up because it seemed that everything went dark and my legs went very wobbly indeed. At first I though it was the earth shaking but when I saw old Samuel walking past me I knew that it was the wine - Samuel died two years ago so I knew my brain was doing its own thing. Anyway, I staggered out of the city where I was less likely to be seen and arrested by the Romans or the priests and sat outside the wall. I'd been there an hour or so I think when a Roman centurion walked past without even looking at me. He had lost his helmet and sword and was just muttering something about 'He was God, he really was God', and I could have sworn he was crying. I think he came from Golgotha so I suppose someone had been executed there - that's the usual place.

By the time my eyes started to work properly again, it was well into the afternoon and I had missed the donkey-cart to Bethany so went back to the inn for the night.

If I was you, I'd avoid the Chateau Hebron 33 like the plague, it does funny things to your mind. Come and see me next week and we'll see if the Hebron 32 is still ok.


Your cousin,

Jacob


(Hebrew)

  מכתב 11


 בתאני

 שנת 33 להורדוס אנטיפס


 אהרון יקר,

 היי, נראה שאני עושה את כל הכתיבה כרגע. קיוויתי שתצטרף אלי לירושלים, אבל אני מניח שהתאפקת. חיכיתי בפונדק המטיילים ליד בריכת ביתסיידה כמו שסיכמנו כל אתמול בערב לשתות יין ורק מחכה. שימו לב, לא פספסתם הרבה שמועות הן שברבאס תפס את עצמו ושוחרר - זה סוג המשיח שלי ואיזה מטיף אחר נשפט כמחבל והורשע אבל אני מניח שהכל יהיה ב-Jewish Chronicle ב- סוֹף שָׁבוּעַ. מכרתי את שאר הכבשים תמורת אגורה יפה, אבל אז, אני חושש ששתיתי יותר מדי שאטו חברון בזמן שחיכיתי לך ואני לא ממש זוכר שהלכתי לישון ביום חמישי בערב. התעוררה ביום שישי בבוקר עם אמא ואבא של הנגאובר. ברור שהשאטו חברון 33 אינו יין טוב במיוחד. אכלתי ארוחת בוקר, או לפחות הסתכלתי עליה ושילמתי עליה, ואז הלכתי לתפוס את עגלת החמורים בצהריים הביתה, אבל ברור שהושפעתי יותר ממה שחשבתי.

 בדיוק יצאתי החוצה כשהעיניים שלי התחילו להתנגן כי נראה היה שהכל חשוך והרגליים שלי התנודדו מאוד. בהתחלה חשבתי שזו האדמה רועדת אבל כשראיתי את שמואל הזקן חולף על פני ידעתי שזה היין - שמואל מת לפני שנתיים אז ידעתי שהמוח שלי עושה את שלו. בכל אופן, התנודדתי אל מחוץ לעיר שבה היה פחות סיכוי להיראות ויעצר על ידי הרומאים או הכוהנים והתיישבתי מחוץ לחומה. הייתי שם שעה בערך, אני חושב, כשבעל מאה רומי חלף על פני מבלי אפילו להביט בי. הוא איבד את הקסדה והחרב שלו ורק מלמל משהו על 'הוא היה אלוהים, הוא באמת היה אלוהים', ויכולתי להישבע שהוא בוכה. אני חושב שהוא הגיע מגולגותא, אז אני מניח שמישהו הוצא להורג שם - זה המקום הרגיל.

 כשהעיניים שלי שוב התחילו לעבוד כמו שצריך, השעה הייתה הרבה אחר הצהריים, ופספסתי את עגלת החמורים לביתאניה, אז חזרתי לפונדק ללינת לילה.

 במקומך, הייתי נמנע משאטו חברון 33 כמו המגיפה. זה עושה דברים מצחיקים למוח שלך. בוא לראות אותי בשבוע הבא, ונראה אם ​​החברון 32 עדיין בסדר.


 בן דוד שלך,

 יעקב


  Letter 11


 Bethany

 33rd year of Herod Antipas


 Dear Aaron,

 Hey, I seem to be doing all the writing at the moment. I had hoped you'd join me in Jerusalem, but I guess you got held up. I waited at the Travelers' Inn near The Pool of Bethsaida like we agreed all yesterday evening drinking wine and just waiting. Mind you, you didn't miss much rumours are that Barabas got himself caught and released - that's my kind of Messiah and some other preacher chap was tried as a terrorist and convicted but I suppose it'll all be in the Jewish Chronicle at the weekend. I sold the rest of the lambs for a pretty penny, but then, I'm afraid I drank far too much Chateau Hebron whilst waiting for you and don't really remember going to bed on Thursday night. Woke up on Friday morning with the mother and father of a hangover. Obviously, the Chateau Hebron 33 isn't a particularly good wine. I had breakfast, or at least looked at it and paid for it, then went to catch the noon donkey-cart home, but I was obviously more affected than I thought.

 I had just gone outside when my eyes started to play up because it seemed that everything went dark and my legs went very wobbly indeed. At first I though it was the earth shaking but when I saw old Samuel walking past me I knew that it was the wine - Samuel died two years ago so I knew my brain was doing its own thing. Anyway, I staggered out of the city where I was less likely to be seen and arrested by the Romans or the priests and sat outside the wall. I'd been there an hour or so, I think, when a Roman centurion walked past without even looking at me. He had lost his helmet and sword and was just muttering something about 'He was God, he really was God', and I could have sworn he was crying. I think he came from Golgotha, so I suppose someone had been executed there - that's the usual place.


 By the time my eyes started to work properly again, it was well into the afternoon, and I had missed the donkey cart to Bethany, so I went back to the inn for the night.


 If I were you, I'd avoid the Chateau Hebron 33 like the plague. It does funny things to your mind. Come and see me next week, and we'll see if the Hebron 32 is still ok.


 Your cousin,

 Jacob


  信件 11


伯大尼

希律安提帕执政 33 年


亲爱的亚伦,

嘿,我似乎现在正在写信。我原本希望你能和我一起去耶路撒冷,但我想你被耽搁了。我昨天晚上在伯赛大池附近的旅人旅馆等着,就像我们约定的那样,一边喝酒一边等待。请注意,你没有错过很多传言,有传言说巴拉巴斯被捕后又被释放了——那是我喜欢的弥赛亚,还有另一个传教士被当作恐怖分子审判并被定罪,但我想这一切都会在周末的犹太纪事报上公布。我把剩下的羊羔卖了,赚了不少钱,但后来,恐怕我在等你的时候喝了太多 Chateau Hebron 葡萄酒,真的不记得周四晚上是怎么上床睡觉的。周五早上醒来时,父母宿醉未醒。显然,Chateau Hebron 33 不是一种特别好的葡萄酒。 我吃了早饭,或者至少看了看并付了钱,然后去赶中午的驴车回家,但我显然比我想象的更受打击。


我刚出门,眼睛就开始发麻,因为似乎一切都变黑了,我的腿也开始发抖。起初我以为是地震,但当我看到老塞缪尔从我身边走过时,我知道是酒的缘故——塞缪尔两年前就死了,所以我知道我的大脑在做自己的事情。不管怎样,我摇摇晃晃地走出城外,在那里我不太可能被罗马人或牧师发现和逮捕,我坐在城墙外。我想,我在那里待了一个小时左右,一个罗马百夫长走过来,甚至没有看我一眼。他丢了头盔和剑,只是嘟囔着“他是上帝,他真的是上帝”,我敢发誓他在哭。我想他来自各各他,所以我想有人在那里被处决了——那是通常的地方。


 当我的眼睛恢复正常时,已经是下午了,我错过了去伯大尼的驴车,所以我回到旅馆过夜。


如果我是你,我会像躲避瘟疫一样避开希伯伦城堡 33。它会让你的大脑产生奇怪的反应。下周来看我,我们看看希伯伦 32 是否还好。


你的表弟,

雅各布


(French)

Lettre 11


Béthanie

33e année d'Hérode Antipas


Cher Aaron,

Hé, il semble que je sois en train d'écrire toute la journée. J'avais espéré que tu me rejoindrais à Jérusalem, mais je suppose que tu as été retenu. J'ai attendu à l'auberge des voyageurs près de la piscine de Bethsaïda comme nous l'avions convenu toute la soirée d'hier en buvant du vin et en attendant. Remarquez que vous n'avez pas manqué grand-chose, les rumeurs disent que Barabas s'est fait prendre et libérer - c'est mon genre de Messie et qu'un autre prédicateur a été jugé comme terroriste et condamné, mais je suppose que tout cela sera dans la Chronique juive ce week-end. J'ai vendu le reste des agneaux pour une jolie somme, mais j'ai bien peur d'avoir bu beaucoup trop de Château Hébron en t'attendant et je ne me souviens pas vraiment d'être allé me ​​coucher jeudi soir. Je me suis réveillé vendredi matin avec la gueule de bois. De toute évidence, le Château Hébron 33 n'est pas un vin particulièrement bon. J'ai pris mon petit déjeuner, ou du moins je l'ai regardé et payé, puis je suis allé prendre la charrette tirée par un âne à midi pour rentrer chez moi, mais j'étais visiblement plus affecté que je ne le pensais. 

Je venais de sortir quand mes yeux ont commencé à s'embrouiller parce qu'il semblait que tout était devenu noir et que mes jambes tremblaient vraiment. Au début, j'ai cru que c'était la terre qui tremblait, mais quand j'ai vu le vieux Samuel passer devant moi, j'ai su que c'était le vin - Samuel était mort il y a deux ans, donc je savais que mon cerveau faisait son propre truc. Quoi qu'il en soit, je suis sorti en titubant de la ville où j'avais moins de chances d'être vu et arrêté par les Romains ou les prêtres et je me suis assis à l'extérieur du mur. J'étais là depuis environ une heure, je crois, lorsqu'un centurion romain est passé sans même me regarder. Il avait perdu son casque et son épée et marmonnait juste quelque chose comme "Il était Dieu, il était vraiment Dieu", et j'aurais juré qu'il pleurait. Je pense qu'il venait du Golgotha, donc je suppose que quelqu'un avait été exécuté là-bas - c'est l'endroit habituel. 

 Quand mes yeux ont recommencé à fonctionner correctement, il était déjà tard dans l'après-midi et j'avais raté la charrette tirée par un âne pour Bethany, alors je suis retourné à l'auberge pour la nuit.

Si j'étais vous, j'éviterais le Château Hebron 33 comme la peste. Il fait des choses bizarres à votre esprit. Venez me voir la semaine prochaine et nous verrons si le Hebron 32 est toujours bon.


Votre cousin,

Jacob


No comments: