Thursday, August 8, 2024

Letter #4 from Jacob to Aaron

 מכתב מס' 4 מיעקב לאהרן

Letter 4 


Bethany

3rd year of Antipas and Philip


Dear Aaron ,

I'm sorry it has been so long since I wrote to you last time, I've had three birthdays since my last letter so I expect that you are up to building houses now. There hasn't been a lot going on recently, sheep watching and more sheep watching. Oh yes, Mum had another baby a while back actually Miriam is nearly three now and, of course, she's another girl. Dad and me are really getting outnumbered. 

Dad had to go to see someone at Capernaum - boy, I thought Hebron was a long walk, it took nearly a month for dad and me to get to Capernaum. Anyway, while we were there he took me on a fishing trip to Galilee for my birthday, I caught a real big one and we got together with a chap called Zebedee and his two kids on the beach to cook it. Zebedee is a proper fisherman with his own boat and everything and even he was impressed by the size of my fish. Dad said that I couldn't ask Zebedee for a ride in his boat because we had only just met him and it would be rude. His kids were a lot younger than me so I didn't play with them or anything, didn't really have much to do with them at all really. Dad thinks they were called John and James or it may have been Johan and Joash or something like that.


We came back through Nazareth because Zebedee told dad about a really good carpenter there called Joseph and we had enough money buy a new chair for Mum. We went to his workshop and looked at the chairs and tables he had on sale there. While dad was talking about chairs to the man, I met his kid, a really nice lad, quite a bit younger than me but nice to talk to. He sounded a lot older that he really was and seemed to know what I was going to talk about - odd that. He knew all about the fish and Zebedee's kids so I guess news must travel really fast up there. He's one of the few little kids I think it would be fun to get to know. His Mum came into the workshop and he told me to keep in touch before he ran to her, do you think I should write to him as well? He almost seems a bit too good to be real. Dad has been on at me ever since, saying he wished I was as good as Joseph's kid, but I don't think I'm any worse than the other kids. I wonder if Joseph's kid has learned to read yet?


Oh yea, guess which mug had to carry a blooming chair for three weeks! At least I had something to sit on when we stopped for a rest but all the people we met laughed at me. One old man we met really spooked me by saying something about it being a better thing to carry than a cross goodness only knows what he meant by that.


Anyway, I look forward to hearing more about your buildings and I think it is about time you came over to see little Miriam.


Your cousin,

Jacob


מכתב 4 


 בתאני

 שנה שלישית לאנטיפס ופיליפ


 אהרון יקר,


 אני מצטער שעבר כל כך הרבה זמן מאז שכתבתי לך בפעם האחרונה, היו לי שלושה ימי הולדת מאז המכתב האחרון שלי אז אני מצפה שאתה עומד לבנות בתים עכשיו. לא קרה הרבה לאחרונה, צפייה בכבשים ועוד צפייה בכבשים. אה, כן, לאימא נולד עוד תינוק לפני זמן מה, למעשה מרים בת כמעט שלוש עכשיו, וכמובן, היא עוד ילדה. אבא ואני באמת עולים במספרים. 


 אבא היה צריך ללכת לראות מישהו בכפר נחום - ילד, חשבתי שחברון היא הליכה ארוכה, לקח כמעט חודש עד שאבא ואני הגענו לכפר נחום. בכל מקרה, בזמן שהיינו שם הוא לקח אותי לטיול דייג בגליל ליום ההולדת שלי, תפסתי אחד גדול ונפגשנו עם בחור בשם זבדי ושני הילדים שלו על החוף כדי לבשל אותו. זבדי הוא דייג כמו שצריך עם סירה משלו והכל ואפילו הוא התרשם מגודל הדגים שלי. אבא אמר שאני לא יכול לבקש מזבדי נסיעה בסירה שלו כי רק עכשיו פגשנו אותו וזה יהיה גס רוח. הילדים שלו היו הרבה יותר צעירים ממני אז לא שיחקתי איתם או משהו, לא באמת היה לי הרבה מה לעשות איתם בכלל. אבא חושב שקראו להם ג'ון וג'יימס או שאולי זה היו יוהאן וג'ואש או משהו כזה.


 חזרנו דרך נצרת כי זבדי סיפר לאבא על נגר ממש טוב שם בשם יוסף והיה לנו מספיק כסף לקנות כיסא חדש לאימא. הלכנו לבית המלאכה שלו והסתכלנו על הכיסאות והשולחנות שהיו לו במכירה שם. בזמן שאבא דיבר עם האיש על כיסאות, פגשתי את הילד שלו, בחור ממש נחמד, די צעיר ממני אבל נחמד לדבר איתו. הוא נשמע הרבה יותר מבוגר ממה שהוא באמת היה ונראה שהוא יודע על מה אני הולך לדבר - מוזר זה. הוא ידע הכל על הדגים והילדים של זבדי אז אני מניח שהחדשות חייבות לנסוע ממש מהר שם למעלה. הוא אחד מהילדים הקטנים הבודדים שלדעתי יהיה כיף להכיר. אמא שלו נכנסה לסדנה והוא אמר לי לשמור על קשר לפני שהוא רץ אליה, אתה חושב שאני צריך לכתוב לו גם? הוא כמעט נראה קצת טוב מכדי להיות אמיתי. מאז אבא דובר עליי ואמר שהוא רוצה שהייתי טוב כמו הילד של יוסף, אבל אני לא חושב שאני יותר גרוע מהילדים האחרים. אני תוהה אם הילד של יוסף כבר למד לקרוא?


 אה, כן, נחשו איזה ספל היה צריך לשאת כיסא פורח במשך שלושה שבועות! לפחות היה לי על מה לשבת כשעצרנו למנוחה אבל כל האנשים שפגשנו צחקו עליי. זקן אחד שפגשנו באמת הפחיד אותי כשאמר משהו על כך שזה דבר טוב יותר לסחוב מאשר צלב אלוהים רק יודע למה הוא התכוון בזה.


 בכל מקרה, אני מצפה לשמוע עוד על הבניינים שלך ואני חושב שהגיע הזמן שתבוא לראות את מרים הקטנה.


 בן דודך,

 יעקב

No comments: