Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dear Dr. Batmanghelidj, This is to say how grateful I am

EMBASSY OF THE ARAB REPUBLIC OF EGYPT
PRESS & INFORMATION BUREAU
1666 CONNECTICUT AVENUE. N.W. SUITE 440
WASHINGTON. D.C. 2000

May 1st, 1991

Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj
Foundation For The Simple In Medicine
P.O Box 3267, Falls Church, VA 22043


Dear Dr. Batmanghelidj,
This is to say how grateful I am to you for making me a much less worried man. I have suffered from a high cholesterol level since 1982. It was 278 when it was first discovered. I was then in Germany and I was put on such a strict diet that I lost 16 pounds in less than two months and the Cholesterol level went down to only 220. I refused to accept to lower it further through medication especially since in Egypt the doctors still believe that this level is not really dangerous by the prevailing standards in our country.
Since I entertain and attend business lunches more than what would be expected even from a diplomat, because of the additional burden of dealing with the media, my cholesterol was always going up to around 260 and back to 220s, by putting myself on very strict diet from time to time. However, it must be noted that it was only outside my home that the diet came crashing down. Otherwise,!was strict with myself. In fact, even when I ate outside, I was careful to choose dishes, wherever available, which were not particularly rich in fat.


Last year I was shocked to discover that my blood cholesterol level had shot up to 279. I was lucky to have met you then. When you "prescribed" ample water (two full glasses) be taken before meals instead of medication that I was just about to submit myself to then, I was very skeptical. All the more so since you did not overemphasize dieting. In two months, and with very little observance of all the old "rules' which were making my life miserable, my cholesterol went down to 203 for the first time in more than nine years! MY weight too was surprisingly also down by about eight pounds and has since been under control. In fact, I feel so good that I am sure that the next time I will be going for a blood test, my cholesterol level will be found to be even lower. So, goodbye to the "normal" Egyptian standards and welcome to the American new levels of cholesterol without the accompanying sense of deprivation!


Enjoying eating, moderately of course, as I had not been doing for a long time and free from a worry that was always at the back of my mind, I believe I owe you a big THANK YOU.


YOURS SINCERELY
MINISTER MOHAMMED WAHBY
Director, Press and Information Bureau

No comments: