Friday, June 14, 2019

Unconditional Love: The True Story of Evy McDonald

I'd like to claim a superior command of academic literature and laserlike intellectual memory, but it had nothing to do with that.

Instead, it was due to a song.

While reading Jimmy Piver's story about hearing loss, within me I distinctly heard an old friend singing a song he had written and recorded about Evy. Really. Hearing that voice and the wonderful lyrics from several years ago, my heart swelled. My senses came alive.

This evoked a Google search, which produced the article I linked for you.

Please credit Greg Tamblyn, one of my favorite people and singer-songwriters anywhere, for haunting my musical consciousness. I've enjoyed his songs countless times, including cross-country car trips! And he created a real beauty in "Unconditional Love: The True Story of Evy McDonald" on his CD, "The Shootout at the I'm OK, You're OK Corral". This is the song-memory that arose inside me, and let me recall Evy.

Greg's music is a blend of humor and heart wisdom -- and this song is one that really struck home with me. Having it come up while reading about Jimmy's healing-in-process was no accident. The two situations resonated inside me, probably because I am healing too.

And Evy herself? Pastor Evelyn McDonald (RN, MS, and MDiv) is alive and well at Grace United Methodist Church in Newburgh, NY . Jimmy himself researched and found her. Science and spirit are one.

Thanks again, Greg. I love your music -- and Jimmy hopes to hear it too, one day.

No comments: