Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Your Children are Always Little in Your Heart

Children, your off springs, they are always little in your heart.

I don't remember who said this, but there really are places in the heart you do not even know exist until you love a child.
 
I have stored photos and videos of my children when they were younger on my smartphone. These are there for a purpose : to REMIND MYSELF that they are still little children in my heart.

When flipping through these memories, wonderful flashbacks occur.  A wonderful feeling fills me ; it is beyond words.

Children grow up, but within the deepest recesses of our minds and in the deepest places of our hearts, they are always our precious 'little' children. And I have compared notes with friends of mine who feel  the same way.

Even till today, I put my son's head quite regularly, though he is 19 years old now. And I often kiss and cuddle my daughter, a vivacious 16-year old. Both of them will let me kiss them before they go to bed. Not much has changed since they were little, and I am most grateful for this wonderful bedtime ritual. My wife certainly feels the same way.

Why is it important to keep this 'littleness' of the children in your heart and mind?

Because our children, whatever their age, still need us to affirm them in many ways. because they still want to know that our unconditional love for them has never changed, even though we might express it somewhat differently. Because they want to know that they can always rely on us for comfort, safety and guidance.

I know this might come across as somewhat mushy to some parents, but do consider this suggestion. Try looking back at your child's younger photos with him or her. Describe how you feel to them when you look at the photos. Then tell them nothing has changed about how you feel.

Be aware that a variety of reactions might occur -- from surprise to nonchalance (coolly unconcerned, indifferent, or unexcited; casual ). But deep within your child, there will be a sense of gratitude for the revelation that your unconditional love has never changed.

In fact, may I boldly suggest that you do it on a regular basis, through the various stages of your child's life? Children never tire of being affirmed by parental unconditional love.

 

No comments: