Separation means that a marriage is in desperate straits. Healing will require listening, understanding, discipline, change. But hard work can result in the joy of a restored marriage. I know that some of you are saying: “It sounds good, but it won’t work. We’ve tried before. Besides, I don’t think my spouse will even try again. I’m not even sure I want to try.” I understand your feelings, but don’t assume that the hostile attitude of your spouse will last forever, or that your own feelings are permanent. One of God’s gifts to all of us is the gift of choice. We can change. Your spouse may be saying: “I’m through. It is finished. I don’t want to talk about it.” But three week or three months from now your spouse may be willing to talk. Much depends on what you do in the meantime, and much depends on your spouse’s response to the Spirit of God. You pray. You work. You leave the results to God.