Wednesday, November 1, 2017

WALKACTIVE PROGRAMME

You have everything you need right here, right now - your body. You can use it in the simplest, most natural way imaginable to see an amazing transformation in your shape. All you have to do is walk - the Walkactive way! 

This inspiring and practical new WALKACTIVE PROGRAMME will teach you a more intelligent and active way to walk - a way that uses your body to its full capacity and in the process will change your shape and your fitness levels dramatically. Walkactive can help you drop inches from your waist, improve your fitness and muscle tone, reduce stress and low mood, and keep the signs of ageing at bay. It will work, whatever your age, fitness, health, or stage of life. All you have to do is put one foot in front of the other.

Help you master the technique, motivational case studies and quotes, tips and strategies, plus specific plans to help you lose weight, improve your fitness and your health.

A book about how to walk? Someone is having a laugh right? I don't think so. I found much that connected with me and my personal situation in this book. I have trouble with my knees and legs. I didn't get a lot out of having physiotherapy, but I'm hoping I can fix myself using tips found in this book. I've already had a little go. I will update my review periodically, and record any benefits etc.

Victoria Lambert gets some expert tuition in 'Walkactive' walking from Joanna Hall
Perfect your posture: Victoria gets some expert tuition from Joanna Hall↖
Joanna Hall's Walkactive Programme: The Simple yet Revolutionary Way to Transform Your Body, for Life

Physical Description: 160 pages :colour illustrations ;24 cm

 Victoria Lambert, 31 Dec 2013:
"Had you told me last January that five months of ''just’’ walking would not only change the way I feel about daily exercise, but also trim and tone my body noticeably, I would have smiled in polite disbelief. I was still recovering from a complete hysterectomy, and was as weak as a kitten.

Had you then said that it would also transform my core fitness so overwhelmingly that I would go from struggling to walk up a hill, to storming through 20km barely breaking sweat, I would simply have laughed. So would friends and family – the idea was inconceivable.

Yet, after four days of an intense walking camp in Spain, I found myself striding up a hot, steep hillside, at speed, grinning away and chatting to my new pal Vicky who, like me, was feeling heady from the sheer joy of what we were achieving.

This is what six months of Walkactive – an exercise programme designed by sports scientist Joanna Hall – has done for me. Beginning with a tentative lesson last June in my kitchen, I ''graduated’’ in the technique in October (just four months later) at a four-day camp at La Manga, in Spain.


Today I’m devoted. Walkactive has changed my level of fitness, my body shape – and my attitude to exercise, I hope, for good."

Find in Singapore NLB Library: 
Call Number : English 613.7176 HAL -[HEA]

Holdings: 
LibraryLocationCall NumberStatus/Desc
Ang Mo Kio Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Onloan - Due: 22 Nov 2017
Bedok Public Library
Adults
Health
Level 2 Shelf 10 [View Map]
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Bishan Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Bukit Batok Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Bukit Merah Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Bukit Panjang Public Library
Adults
Non-Fiction / Health
Level 4 Shelf 51 [View Map]
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Onloan - Due: 11 Dec 2017
Central Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Cheng San Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Choa Chu Kang Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Clementi Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Onloan - Due: 05 Nov 2017
Geylang East Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Jurong Regional Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Jurong West Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
library@orchard
Adult Lending
Lifestyle Design - Wellness
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Pasir Ris Public Library
Adults
Health
Level 4 Shelf 17 [View Map]
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Sembawang Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Sengkang Public Library
Adults
Health
Level 3 Shelf 15 [View Map]
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Serangoon Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Onloan - Due: 13 Nov 2017
Tampines Regional Library
Adults
Health
Level 2 Shelf 10 [View Map]
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Onloan - Due: 15 Nov 2017
Toa Payoh Public Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available
Woodlands Regional Library
Adult Lending
English
613.7176 HAL -[HEA]
Available

How brisk walking can boost your health.

BRISK walking has a host of health benefits – if you know how it’s done. Louise Robinson gets put through her paces on a leading training camp.
effective, walking, technique, expert, Joanna Hall, training, health, fitness

Brisk walking has a host of health benefits – if you know how it’s done ↑

"Walking strengthens the heart and lungs, improves fitness, helps control weight and is less likely to injure you than other sports. It also cuts your cholesterol and lowers your blood pressure."

You are going where, to do what?” was my husband’s incredulous response when I announced I was heading off for a five-day camp in Essex – to learn how to walk.

But this wasn’t any old walking. 

This was fitness guru Joanna Hall’s Walkactive programme, devised for people who don’t have the heart or knees for jogging or the gym but want to get the most out of putting one foot in front of the other.

Joanna believes passionately that walking is by far the most effective exercise we can take, whatever our age, shape or level of fitness – but only if we do it right.

She has spent years researching her scientifically proven technique: you stride out through your whole foot, lifting your torso out of your hips and swinging your arms backwards and forwards with bent elbows. Then there are your earlobes; I’d never thought the earlobe had a role in walking but, according to Joanna, it’s important to keep as much distance as possible between lobe and shoulder.

These were the skills our hardy band of 17 women – and one very brave man – began learning on our first afternoon at Joanna’s training camp, which was held at the luxurious Lifehouse Spa and Hotel in Thorpe-le-Soken, Essex (there are camps in Tenerife and Spain, as well as in the UK). 

She proved to be the most charismatic and patient of teachers and soon we were all walking with an “open ankle” and checking our shoulder-earlobe distance. It did feel very unnatural at first, but it was a lot more comfortable after just a day.


Joanna’s enthusiasm was infectious – and it needed to be, because this camp was not for the fainthearted. 

We kicked off each day at 7am with a three or five-kilometre walk, followed by a pre-breakfast yoga session in the hotel’s impressive walled garden. The rest of the day was spent in a whirl of perfecting our technique, attending healthy lifestyle workshops and, of course, going on very long walks. Each day ended back in the walled garden for a stretching session. It was hard work – but completely invigorating. 

At the beginning, we braved a 7km time trial along the stunning Essex coastline between Frinton-on-Sea and Clacton. When we repeated the exercise at the end, I was ecstatic to find I’d knocked 10 minutes off my time. Every single one of us had shown an improvement and we celebrated with a foot-soothing paddle in the sea. 


I managed to lose four pounds over the five days, but even more impressive was the effect on my waistline: three and a half inches had disappeared. I’d also clocked up over 100,000 steps on my pedometer and, for the first time ever, actually felt excited about going on a walking holiday. Next stop, Italy. 

https://walkactive.com/

No comments: