Thursday, March 23, 2017

TAPPING 4 (FEELING It’s Not Safe to Change)

There are many times in our lives when we come to a necessary transition point, whether it’s the beginning of a relationship, a new job, or even moving to a new city. While these can certainly be exciting moments, they also can bring with them a great deal of confusion and anguish. Thankfully, Tapping is a wonderful way to address these nagging feelings so that they don’t hinder our progress.

Here’s an extended Tapping script to help you do just that.  “The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-Free Living.” It addresses those underlying, often hidden emotions that come with big changes in our lives.

Tapping varies for everyone: some people just need to do a few rounds to clear the negative emotions that have them all wound up; others need a few more rounds. Whichever the case is for you, it’s always great to go deeper and longer. As you do, take note of any unexpected thoughts or feelings that arise. These can often be used to help you clear your negative attachment to incidents or emotions buried in your unconscious mind that may have been tripping you up without you even knowing it!

As I explain in the book, it’s always good to start with a “check-in” phrase to determine if this particular issue is something you need to work on. The check-in phrase for this routine is it’s not safe to change.

What does saying this phrase bring up for you? Rate your discomfort on a scale from 0 to 10, with 10 being “absolutely true” and 0 being “not at all true.” If your truth level is a 5 or more, then this is definitely an issue you want to tackle.

This routine will help you shed the discomfort surrounding the change you’re considering or the one that’s already underway. In essence, it will allow you to flow accordingly with what’s happening, instead of sinking further into the state of resistance that’s been fraying your nerves. Start at the karate chop point:

Karate Chop: Even though it isn’t safe for me to change, I’m accepting how I feel.
Karate Chop: Even though I won’t be able to keep myself safe if I make this change, I’m open to a new perspective.
Karate Chop: Even though I’ve been holding myself from making this change because I have to protect myself, I deeply love and accept myself

Eyebrow: It doesn’t feel safe to make these changes. . .
Side of Eye: I won’t know how to protect myself if I make them . .
Under Eye: I know it would be painful . . .
Under Nose: And I want to protect myself . . .
Chin: I’m not sure how to keep myself safe if I make this change . .
Collarbone: It might be really hard to keep myself safe . . .
Underarm: I don’t know if I know how to keep myself safe . . .
Top of Head: I don’t know if I can learn to keep myself safe.

Eyebrow: It feels as if everything is going to go wrong. . .
Side of Eye: I feel stuck. . .
Under Eye: I feel so torn. . .
Under Nose: I’m afraid about what comes next. . .
Chin: Everything might fall apart. . .
Collarbone: Things will never be the same again. . .
Underarm: What am I going to do?
Top of Head: This is bothering me so much

Take a deep breath and check in with yourself. How are you feeling? Rate your feeling on the 0 to 10 scale. Return to the eyebrow. Remember, you want to clear as many of these fearful emotions as possible before we move onto the positive rounds.

Eyebrow: I could lose so much
Side of Eye: Everything feels so unstable. . .
Under Eye: What will people think?
Under Nose: Am I making a big mistake?
Chin: I just want everything to stay the same.
Collarbone: This change is the worst thing ever.
Underarm: I can’t cope with this. . .
Top of Head: Even if it seems OK at first, it could go bad very quickly. . .

Eyebrow: What am I going to do?
Side of Eye: I just want to feel settled. . .
Under Eye: I just want to feel secure…
Under Nose: This isn’t wise of me. . .
Chin: I just wish I wasn’t so anxious. . .
Collarbone: I’m so worried. . .
Underarm: I just want this to end. . .
Top of Head: I just want to be at peace. . .


Has the fear dissipated any? Have your nerves settled a bit? Where does that feeling rank on a scale of 1 to 10 now? If it’s still pretty strong, then you might want to repeat the last few rounds until it comes down a bit. Then proceed to the positive rounds below.

Eyebrow: What if I could be safe and make this change?
Side of Eye: What if I have more resources than I thought?
Under Eye: Perhaps it’s not as hard as I thought . . .
Under Nose: There’s a chance I’m already doing some of it . . .
Chin: Sometimes I do feel more relaxed . . .
Collarbone: Maybe I can find ways to do that more often . . .
Underarm: I can make changes and protect myself . . .
Top of Head: I love feeling my confidence grow daily.

Eyebrow: I’ve been overreacting. . .
Side of Eye: I can be mindful and careful about this change without stressing out. . .
Under Eye: I might even enjoy it. . .
Under Nose: This might be the very thing I’ve been waiting on. . .
Chin: My life might be so much better after this. . .
Collarbone: I can relax into this. . .
Under Arm: I already feel calmer. . .
Top of Head: I can feel the pressure slipping away. . .

Eyebrow: This change might be the best thing that has ever happened to me. . .
Side of Eye: But I won’t know if I don’t see it through. . .
Under Eye: I choose to allow and accept this change with grace. . .
Under Nose: I feel so much more secure now. . .
Chin: I am safe. . .
Collarbone: I am centered and settled. . .
Under Arm: Everything is going to be alright. . .
Top of Head: Everything is just fine. . .


Take a deep breath . . . and let it go.
 
 

No comments: