146 Reasons Why Sugar Is Ruining Your Health
Dr. Nancy Appleton, Ph.D. was a sugarholic. Years of sneaking sugary snacks led to sickness and allergy as her constant companions. Despite everything the doctors tried she didn't get better, until she asked the question, What am I doing to make myself sick? In her website: http://www.nancyappleton.com/NA144reasons.html Dr. Appleton gave 146 reasons why sugar is ruining your health. Following are some of them.
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children.
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases).
6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function.
7. Sugar reduces high-density lipoproteins.
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency.
9. Sugar leads to cancer of the ovaries.
10. Sugar causes copper deficiency.
11. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
12. Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract.
13. Sugar can cause premature aging.
14. 21. Sugar can cause tooth decay.
15. Sugar contributes to obesity
16. High intake of sugar increases the risk of Crohn's disease, and ulcerative colitis.
17. Sugar can cause changes frequently found in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
18. Sugar can cause arthritis.
19. Sugar can cause asthma.
20. Sugar greatly assists the uncontrolled growth of Candida albicans (yeast infections).
21. Sugar can cause gallstones.
22. Sugar can cause heart disease.
23. Sugar can cause appendicitis.
24. Sugar can cause hemorrhoids.
25. Sugar can cause varicose veins.
26. Sugar can lead to periodontal disease.
27. Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis.
28. Sugar contributes to saliva acidity.
29. Sugar can increase cholesterol.
30. Sugar can increase the systolic blood pressure.
31. Sugar can interfere with the absorption of protein.
32. Sugar causes food allergies.
33. Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
34. Sugar can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
35. Sugar can contribute to eczema in children.
36. Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease.
37. Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of collagen.
38. Sugar can cause cataracts.
39. Sugar can cause atherosclerosis.
40. Sugar can promote an elevation of low-density lipoproteins (LDL).
41. Sugar lowers the enzymes ability to function.
42. Sugar can increase the size of the liver by making the liver cells divide.
43. Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat.
44. Sugar can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
45. Sugar can damage the pancreas.
46. Sugar can increase the body's fluid retention.
47. Sugar is enemy number one of the bowel movement.
48. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
49. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
50. Sugar can make the tendons more brittle.
51. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraine.
52. Sugar plays a role in pancreatic cancer in women.
53. Sugar can adversely affect school children's grades and cause learning disorders.
54. Sugar can cause depression.
55. Sugar increases the risk of gastric cancer.
56. Sugar and cause dyspepsia (indigestion).
57. Sugar can increase your risk of getting gout.
58. A diet high in refined sugar reduces learning capacity.
59. Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease.
60. Sugar can cause platelet adhesiveness.
61. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance; some hormones under active and others overactive.
62. Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
63. Diets high in sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress.
64. High sugar diet can lead to biliary tract cancer.
65. Sugar can be a risk factor of gallbladder cancer.
66. Sugar is an addictive substance.
67. Sugar can exacerbate PMS.
68. Decrease in sugar intake can increase emotional stability.
69. The rapid absorption of sugar promotes excessive food intake in obese subjects.
70. Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
71. Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function.
72. I.Vs (intravenous feedings) of sugar water can cut off oxygen to the brain.
73. High sucrose intake could be an important risk factor in lung cancer.
74. High sugar intake can cause epileptic seizures.
75. Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people.
76. In Intensive Care Units, limiting sugar saves lives.
77. Sugar can increase the amount of food that you eat.
78. Sugar can lead to prostrate cancer.
79. Sugar can cause low birth weight babies.
80. Sweet food items increase the risk of breast cancer.
81. Sugar induces salt and water retention.
82. Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss.
83. High fructose consumption has been linked to liver disease.
84. Sugar adds to the risk of bladder cancer.