Wednesday, February 22, 2017

What Exceptions?

zero limits 5 :What Exceptions?

I am the story of what you think you see.
—Byron Katie, All War Belongs on Paper

The weekend event was deeper than I ever expected. Dr. Hew Len
explained that everything you seek and everything you experi-
ence—everything—is inside you. If you want to change anything, you
do it inside, not outside.The whole idea is total responsibility.There’s
no one to blame. It’s all you.

“But what about when somebody gets raped?” a person asked.“Or
what if there’s a car accident? We’re not responsible for all that, are we?”
“Have you ever noticed that whenever you have a problem, you
are there?” he asked.“It’s all about 100 percent responsibility for every-
thing. No exceptions.There’s no loophole that lets you off the hook
for something you don’t like.You’re responsible for all of it—all.”

Even when he worked at the mental hospital and he saw murderers
and rapists, he took responsibility. He understood that they were acting
from a memory or a program. To help them, he had to remove the
memory.The only way to do that is by cleaning.This is what he meant
when he said he never saw clients professionally in a therapeutic setting.
He looked at their charts. As he did, he silently said to the Divine, “I
love you,” “I’m sorry,” “Please forgive me,” and “Thank you.” He was doing what he knew to do to help the patients return to a state of zero limits. As Dr. Hew Len did this within himself, the patients healed.

Dr. Hew Len explained, “Simply put, ho’oponopono means, ‘to
make right’ or ‘to rectify an error.’ Ho’o means ‘cause’ in Hawaiian
and ponopono means ‘perfection.’According to the ancient Hawaiians,
error arises from thoughts that are tainted by painful memories from
the past. Ho’oponopono offers a way to release the energy of these
painful thoughts, or errors, which cause imbalance and disease.”
In short, ho’oponopono is simply a problem-solving process.

 But it’s done entirely within yourself.


This new and improved process was created by Morrnah, the beloved
kahuna who taught her method to Dr. Hew Len in November 1982.
Dr. Hew Len had heard of a “miracle worker” lecturing at hospitals,
colleges, and even the United Nations. He met her, saw her heal his
daughter of shingles, and left everything to study with her and learn
her simplified healing method. Since Dr. Hew Len was also experi-
encing difficulties in his marriage at the time, he left his family, as
well.That’s not too unusual.There’s a long history of people leaving
their families to study with a spiritual teacher. Dr. Hew Len wanted
to learn Morrnah’s method.

But he didn’t instantly accept her odd ways. He signed up for a workshop led by her and walked out after three hours.“She was talk-
ing to spirits and sounded nuts,” he said.“So I left.”

He went back a week later, paid the tuition fee again, and tried
to sit through another workshop with her. He still couldn’t do it.
Everything she taught seemed so crazy to his university-trained mind
that he again walked out of her seminar.

“I went back a third time and this time I stayed for the entire
weekend,” he told me.“I still thought she was crazy, but something
about her spoke to my heart. I stayed with her until her transition
in 1992.”

Morrnah’s self-directed inner method worked miracles, according to Dr. Hew Len and others. Her prayer somehow erased memories and programs just by saying it. I knew I wanted to learn that
liturgy and would not rest until I knew it.

Morrnah hinted at her method in an article she wrote for the book
I Am a Winner: “I have used the old system since age two, I have re-
vamped the process, yet it retains the ‘essence’ of the ‘ancient wisdom.’”

Mabel Katz, in her little book, The Easiest Way, says:“Ho’opono-
pono is a process of forgiveness, repentance, and transformation.
Every time we use any of its tools, we are taking 100 percent respon-
sibility and asking for forgiveness (for ourselves).We learn that every-
thing that appears in our lives is only a projection of our ‘programs.’ ”

I wondered how Morrnah’s updated Self I-Dentity Ho’opono-
pono process differed from traditional ho’oponopono. Dr. Hew Len
explained it this way:
Self I-Dentity through (Traditional
Ho’oponopono (Ho’oponopono
1. Problem solving is 1. Problem solving is
intrapersonal. interpersonal.
2. Only you and the I are 2. A senior member mediates the
involved. problem solving session with all
participants.
3. Only you are physically 3. Everyone involved in the
present. problem must be physically
present.
4. Repentance to the I. 4. Each participant is required to
repent to each other, with the
senior member mediating so that
participants don’t get contentious.
5. Forgiveness from the I. 5. Each participant is required to
ask forgiveness of each of the
other participants.

In traditional ho’oponopono, the senior member, trained in the
dynamics of problem solving, is responsible to see that everyone gets
a chance to say what each sees as the problem.This is always an area
of contention in the traditional ho’oponopono because each partici-
pant sees the problem differently. I have to admit I like the new and
improved process, as it all happens within the person.You don’t need
anyone else at all.This makes more sense to me. Since I’m a student
of Jungian-based teachers such as best-selling author Debbie Ford
(The Dark Side of the Light Chasers), I already understood that the
place for change is within you, not the environment or any other
person.

“Along with the updated Ho’oponopono process,” Dr. Hew Len
continued, “Morrnah was guided to include the three parts of the
self, which are the key to Self I-Dentity.These three parts—which ex-
ist in every molecule of reality—are called the Unihipili (child/sub-
conscious), the Uhane (mother/conscious), and the Aumakua
(father/superconscious). When this ‘inner family’ is in alignment, a
person is in rhythm with the Divinity.With this balance, life begins
to flow.Thus, Ho’oponopono helps restore balance in the individual
first, and then in all of creation.”

He went on to explain more about this amazing process:

“Ho’oponopono is really very simple. For the ancient Hawai-
ians, all problems begin as thought. But having a thought is not the
problem. So what’s the problem? The problem is that all our thoughts
are imbued with painful memories—memories of persons, places, or
things.

“The intellect working alone can’t solve these problems, because
the intellect only manages. Managing things is no way to solve prob-
lems.You want to let them go! When you do Ho’oponopono, what
happens is that the Divinity takes the painful thought and neutralizes
or purifies it.You don’t purify the person, place, or thing.You neu-
tralize the energy you associate with that person, place, or thing. So
the first stage of Ho’oponopono is the purification of that energy.

“Now something wonderful happens. Not only does that energy
get neutralized; it also gets released, so there’s a brand-new slate. Bud-
dhists call it the Void.The final step is that you allow the Divinity to
come in and fill the void with light.

“To do ho’oponopono, you don’t have to know what the prob-
lem or error is.All you have to do is notice any problem you are ex-
periencing physically, mentally, emotionally, whatever. Once you
notice, your responsibility is to immediately begin to clean, to say,‘I’m
sorry. Please forgive me.’ ”

As I researched Morrnah, even finding DVDs of interviews with
her, I finally found the prayer she would say to heal people, whether
she saw them or not.The liturgy she said went like this:

Divine creator, father, mother, son as one . . . If I, my family, relatives,
and ancestors have offended you, your family, relatives, and ancestors in
thoughts, words, deeds, and actions from the beginning of our creation
to the present, we ask your forgiveness. . . . Let this cleanse, purify, re-
lease, cut all the negative memories, blocks, energies, and vibrations and
transmute these unwanted energies to pure light. . . .And it is done.

I wasn’t sure how this unlocked the healing within someone, but
I could see that it was based on forgiveness.Apparently Morrnah, and
now Dr. Hew Len, felt that by asking for forgiveness we cleared the
path for healing to be manifest. What was blocking our well-being
was nothing more than lack of love. Forgiveness opened the door to
allow it back in.

I found all of this fascinating. I wasn’t sure how doing ho’oponopono
could help heal me, you, or the mentally ill, however. But I kept lis-
tening. Dr. Hew Len went on to explain that we have to take 100
percent responsibility for our lives—no exceptions, no excuses, no
loopholes.

“Can you imagine if we all knew we are 100 percent responsible?” he asked.“I made a deal with myself 10 years ago that I would
treat myself to a hot fudge sundae—so huge it would make me
sick—if I could get through the day without having some judgment
of someone. I’ve never been able to do it! I notice I catch myself
more often, but I never get through a day.”

Well, now I knew he was human. I could relate to his confession.
As much work as I’ve done on myself, I still get rattled by people or
situations that I wish would be different. I’m far more able to tolerate
most things that come my way in life, but I’m also far from being to-
tally loving in every situation.

“But how do I get that across to people—that we are each 100
percent responsible for problems?” he asked.“If you want to solve a
problem, work on yourself. If the problem is with another person, for
example, just ask yourself, ‘What’s going on in me that’s causing this
person to bug me?’ People only show up in your life to bug you! If
you know that, you can elevate any situation. How? It’s simple:‘I’m
sorry for whatever’s going on. Please forgive me.’ ”

He went on to explain that if you are a massage therapist or chi-
ropractor and someone comes to you with back pain, the question to
ask is, “What’s going on inside of me that shows up as this person’s
back pain?”

This is a head-spinning new way of looking at life itself. It
probably explains, in part, how Dr. Hew Len was able to heal all
those mentally ill criminals. He didn’t work on them; he worked
on himself.

He went on to explain that at heart we are all pure, with no pro-
grams or memories or even inspirations.That’s the zero state.There
are zero limits there. But as we live, we catch programs and memo-
ries, much like some people catch a cold. We aren’t bad when we
catch a cold, but we have to do whatever it takes to clean it. Pro-
grams are the same.We catch them.When we see a program in an-
other, we have it, too.The way out is to clean.

Dr. Hew Len said, “There is a way out of problems and disease
for any individual willing to be 100 percent responsible for creating his or her life the way it is moment to moment. In the ancient
Hawaiian healing process of ho’oponopono, the individual petitions
Love to rectify errors within him.You say,‘I am sorry. Please forgive
me for whatever is going on inside of me that manifests as the prob-
lem.’ Love’s responsibility then is to transmute the errors within him
that manifest as the problem.”

He added,“Ho’oponopono sees each problem not as an ordeal,
but as an opportunity. Problems are just replayed memories of the
past showing up to give us one more chance to see with the eyes of
love and to act from inspiration.”

Again, I’m forbidden to share the intimate details of the workshop.
I’m serious. I had to sign a nondisclosure agreement. Mostly it was to
protect the privacy of the attendees. But I can tell you this: It is about
taking full responsibility for your life.

I know you’ve heard that before. So have I. But you’ve never
taken it to the all-encompassing extent taught in the workshop.
Complete responsibility means accepting it all—even the people
who enter your life and their problems, because their problems are
your problems.They are in your life, and if you take full responsibility
for your life, then you have to take full responsibility for what they
are experiencing, too. (Reread that. I dare you.)

This is a head-warping, mind-opening, brain-cramping concept.
To live it is to transform your life as never before. But to even grasp
the idea of 100 percent responsibility is beyond what most of us are
ready to do, let alone accept.

But once you accept it, the next question is how to transform
yourself so the rest of the world changes, too.

The only sure way is with “I love you.”That’s the code that un-
locks the healing. But you use it on you, not on others.Their problem
is your problem, remember, so working on them won’t help you.They
don’t need healing; you do. You have to heal yourself. You are the
source of all the experiences.

That’s the essence of the modernized Ho’oponopono process.
Go ahead and chew on that for a while.
While you are doing so, I will just keep saying,“I love you.”

One of the key points from this weekend workshop is that you are
acting from either memory or inspiration. Memory is thinking; inspiration is allowing. Most of us by far are living out of memories.
We’re unconscious to them because we’re basically unconscious,
period.

In this way of viewing the world, the Divine sends a message
down from above, into your mind. But if memories are playing—
which they almost always are—you won’t hear the inspiration, let
alone act on it.As a result, Divinity doesn’t get a word in.You’re too
busy with the noise going on in your head to hear it.

Dr. Hew Len drew a few illustrations to clarify his points. (See
the State of Void diagram.) One was a triangle. He said that was you,
the individual. At the core, there is nothing but Divinity. That’s the
zero state where there are zero limits.

From Divinity, you will receive inspiration. An inspiration is from the Divine, but a memory is a program in the collective uncon-
scious of humankind.A program is like a belief, a programming that
we share with others when we notice it in others. Our challenge is to
clear all the programs so we are back at the zero state, where inspira-
tion can come.

Dr. Hew Len spent a lot of time explaining that memories are shared.When you spot something in another that you don’t like, you
have it in you, as well.Your job is to clean it. As you do, it will leave the other person, as well. Actually, it will eventually leave the world.

“One of the most insistent programs in the world is women’s hatred of men,” Dr. Hew Len announced.“I keep cleaning and it is like
pulling weeds in a giant field of weeds. Each weed is a leg of the program. There is a deep-seated hatred of men on the part of women. We must love it to let it go.”

I didn’t quite understand all of this. It seemed like yet another
model or map of the world. Every psychologist, philosopher, and re-
ligion has one. I’m interested in this one because it appears it can
help heal the entire planet.After all, if Dr. Hew Len can heal an en-
tire ward of mentally ill criminals, what else is possible?

But Dr. Hew Len pointed out that ho’oponopono is not easy. It
takes commitment. “This is not a McDonald’s approach to life,” he
said. “This is not a fast-food drive-up window where you instantly
get your order. God is not an order taker. It takes constant focus on
cleaning, cleaning, cleaning.”


He told stories of people who used the cleaning method to do what
others might think impossible. One story was about a NASA engineer
who came to him because of a problem with one of their rockets.

“Since she came to me, I assumed I was a part of the problem,”
Dr. Hew Len explained.“So I cleaned. I said ‘I’m sorry’ to the rocket.
Later, when the engineer returned, she explained that the rocket
somehow corrected itself in flight.”

Did doing ho’oponopono influence the rocket? Dr. Hew Len
and the engineer think so. I spoke to the engineer, and she said it was
impossible for the rocket to correct itself. Something else had to hap-
pen that was in the nature of a miracle. For her, it was doing the
cleaning with Dr. Hew Len’s help.

I can’t say I bought this story, but I also have to admit I don’t
have another explanation for it.


One man came up to me during a break at the event and said,
“There’s a famous Internet marketer who has the same name as you.”

I didn’t know whether he was kidding, so I asked,“Really?”

“Yes, he’s written a lot of books and writes on spiritual market-
ing and hypnotic writing. He’s a cool guy.”

“That’s me,” I said.

The gentleman seemed very embarrassed. Mark Ryan had heard
the entire conversation and thought it was humorous.

It didn’t matter if people knew my celebrity status online or not,
as I was getting known in the room itself. Dr. Hew Len called on me
so many times during the event that people thought he was singling
me out. One person asked,“Are you related to Dr. Hew Len?” I said
no and asked why the person thought I might be.“I don’t know; it
just seems like he is focusing on you.”

I never felt singled out in a negative way. I liked the attention
and assumed it was to help me personally, since Dr. Hew Len knew I
wrote books and had a following on the Internet. I’m sure a part of
him knew that if I got this message of healing, I’d be able to help
many people.

I didn’t know at the time that he, being inspired by the Divine,
was grooming me to become a guru. But not a guru to the world; a
guru to myself.

No comments: