Friday, April 28, 2017

WHAT TFT IS, HOW TFT WORKS

NOT LONG AGO, I treated a man named Roy who had just been offered a major promotion at the high-tech firm where he worked. Roy was a 42-year-old engineer, handsome and seemingly self-assured, But instead of celebrating the new job opportunity -- and the significant pay raise that accompanied it -- he went to pieces. 
" I can't sleep," Roy told me. "I can't concentrate at work. the anxiety is eating me up."

   Roy felt so unsettled that you might think he had just been laid off from his job, rather than being offered a promotion and as sizable increase in income. 
"In my new position, I'll be overseeing an entire division of the company and I'll have much more responsibility," said Roy.
Then he paused, sighed heavily, and added, "I know it sounds good, and I should be thrilled. But the whole situation stresses me out. To take the new job, I'll have to move my family to where the corporate headquarters are located. My daughter is in high school, and she'd have to leave her friends behind. I toss and turn at night, just feeling terrible about that."

  Then Roy told me about another problem. He knew that the new position would require plenty of public speaking -- and that was something he absolutely dreaded. He had always felt uncomfortable at the podium. He's stammer, becoming tongue-tied and even dizzy. He could feel his heart pounding. Sweat would accumulate on his upper lip. His hands would shake. He sometimes loss his train of thought in front of a group, and it would take him a few moments to collect himself and get back on track. 

  The more Roy contemplate what the promotion meant, the more he felt like turning it down. "It's so ironic," he said. "I've had my eye on getting this new position for years. And now that it's being handed to me, I feel  lie running from it."

   Roy and I decided to see if Thought Field Therapy could help him get through what he described as a "major life crisis" and a " real turning point" in his life. Together, could we silence his distress so he could make the best decision for himself and his family?

   I asked Roy to evaluate the intensity of his distress on a 1-to-10 scale, with 10 representing the worst possible turmoil. He said it was " at least a 9."  Then I guided him through a brief Thought Field Therapy (TFT) "recipe" for anxiety. He tapped a series of specific points on his human body. it took only about three minutes. 

   When Roy was finished, he looked at me with a sense of relief in his eyes. "I really do feel better," he said. "Much better. I'm very calm right now. I don't feel any of the distress I did a few minutes ago." It really was astonishing. On the same 10-point scale, Roy said that his anxiety level ad fallen dramatically from a 9 to a 1. 

   W week later, Roy called with more good news : he had formally accepted the promotion and was truly excited about the challenges ahead.  he knew that accepting the new job was the best move for both him and his family, despite the adjustments they'd have  to make. Roy credited Thought Field Therapy (TFT) with lifting the burden of anxiety from his shoulders, allowing him to make a rational decision about his future. 

No comments: