Bitter Gourd a.k.a Bitter Melon, probably due to its medicinal values.
Bitter Gourd (BG) many health benefits:
1. BG detoxifies the blood.
2. BG is a blood cleanser and alleviates anaemia.
3. BG has an anti-diabetic effect, which helps lower the blood sugar level.
4. BG improves one's vision/eye sight and stimulates one's appetite.
5. BG relieves fever, cough, constipation, and rids intestinal worms.
6. BG inhibits some forms of cancer and viruses, especially herpes simplex, herpes zoster (shingles) and the polio viruses.
7. Drinking BG juice alleviates painful arthritic condition and jaundice.
8. BG also dissolve kidney stone and relieve the burning sensation in the kidney.
9.Researchers have indicated that BG may be effective against some forms of cancers and leukemia. Due to the alkaline effect of all green vegetables and fresh fruits after digestion. Cancerous cells growth is due to excessive acidic environment in the body resultant from overloading with cooked foods and other processed food/drinks.
Note: To obtain the maximum beneficial effect, only green bitter gourd should be used. There are two(2) varieties of BG: the larger kind is usually pale green in colour, whereas the smaller kind is dark green.
Note: DO NOT over cook the BG as most of the nutrients and beneficial properties will be DESTROYED. The same goes for all other fresh vegetables. The produce enzymes is sensitive to heat.
10. To make a delicious BG salad that relieves cough, colds and itchy throat, cut thin slices of BG and sprinkle it with soy sauce and a dash of lime or lemon juice. Chopped tomato and chopped garlic may be added to enhance the taste. Likewise, black pepper may be sprinkled.
CAUTION: People with hypertension or high blood pressure should AVOID consuming black pepper. Use water-cure .
Drink at least 10% of your own daily water-quota (31.42 ml multiply by your present body weight(kg), every 90 minutes. Use 1/4 teaspoon of sea-salt in your daily diet, for every 1250 ml water drank.
11. To make a cup of BG drink, pour hot water into a mug with a few slices of BG and allow it to steep. FOR JUICING BG:
You should never consume pure BG juice. It is best to dilute it with water or other vegetable juices before consumption.
Juice about 50 to 60 ml of BG juice and mix it with 3/4 (three quarter) of water. Drinking this beverage lowers one's blood sugar level and is a good blood cleanser.
12. 50 to 60 ml of BG juice may be mixed with celery juice up to a mug full and taken for the relief of painful gout, arthritis and rheumatism.
13. 50 to 60 ml of BG juice may be mixed with cucumber juice up to a mug full and taken to lower high blood pressure.
14. FOR EXTERNAL USE: BG Paste. Pound BG into a paste and apply the paste externally to treat burns, acne, boils, and skin eruptions.