Mothballs or deodorant blocks contain naphthalene. I humbly advise all readers to throw away all mothballs or any products in home which contain naphthalene. The emitted gas cause nervous system disorder in long term. Let your poor neighbours know this simple fact.
In humans, exposure to large amounts of naphthalene may damage or destroy red blood cells. This could cause your body to have too few red blood cells until it destroyed cells. Humans, particularly children, have developed this condition after ingesting mothballs or deodorant blocks, or breath in its gas containing naphthalene.
Some of the symptoms of this condition are fatigue, lack of appetite, restlessness, and pale skin. Exposure to large amounts, whether concentrated form in short period or mild level for a long period, may also cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in the urine, and jaundice (yellow coloration of the skin).
The International Agency for Research on cancer (IARC) classifies naphthalene as possibly carcinogenic to humans. Carcinogenic causes cancerous development in human body.
Many rural folk still use mothballs in their wardrobes to prevent insects invasion.
Try using natural fragrance instead, like screw-pine leaves or other local leaves found in your areas.